You’re going on a cruise…hooray! Now, what to pack?
It can be stressful for first-time “cruisers” to know what kind of attire to bring. I know this from experience! I’ve been on nine cruises to date, but I certainly remember my first one about 10 years ago with my two kids, husband, brother-in-law and sister-in-law. I had no idea what to wear or what to pack.
First of all, I recommend doing a bit of research on the ship and destination(s).
You can choose your clothing according to events on the ship. For example, some ships have a “captain’s night,” which is kind of like a gala dinner. That’s the perfect time to wear your fancy, high-quality jewelry, long gown dress and high heels.
However, from my experience, the smaller the ship, the more casual the dress code will be.
It’s best to always travel light, but that can be challenging. So here are a few things to pack without going “overboard” and bringing 10 pairs of shoes (like I tend to do)!
- You absolutely need to bring with you a bathing suit—even if you don’t plan on swimming. I recommend bringing a cover up – fast, easy and stylish.
- Always pack a sun-protection hat. When I was younger I didn’t care about the sun; I could sit in its rays for hours. But as I get older, I am getting wiser and that is why I never go in the sun without my fashionable, floppy beach hat. I love these hats because they provide UPV protection, PLUS they are packable so they will not lose their form. Check out some of La Glamour Style’s collection—soooo worth every penny!
- Sunscreen—of course! Do not leave home without it. My husband once had to buy some at a shop in Costa Rica and it was double the price. Here’s a tip: pack your sunscreen in your checked baggage in a ziplock bag, to avoid making a mess in your luggage.
- Flip flops or a good pair of sandals that don’t take up too much space. These savvy flip flops can be great for day-to-night wear, featuring just enough crystals to make them fancy enough for dinner if you’re not the high-heel type. Meanwhile, these wedge sandals are so comfy and fashionable that you only need one pair for your vacation.
- For an easy look, here is an idea you can pack: small earrings, a fashion bracelet, a comfy & trendy pair of sandals, slip on a maxi dress or a white blouse tunic and top it of with a fashion fedora hat! Voila: simple, comfy and completely on-trend.